The Law Offices of John M. McCabe, P.A. - Raleigh Personal Injury Attorney
Free Initial Consultations
Toll Free: 877-320-1851 | Phone: 919-899-9852
Toll Free: 877-320-1851
Phone: 919-899-9852
Call Us Now
COVID-19 Update: Our office is open and we are available for video conferencing and phone consultations. Please call us to learn more.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  » What to do after a car accident in North Carolina
Motor Vehicle
Home/Assisted Living
Serious And
Catastrophic Injuries

What to do after a car accident in North Carolina

by | Nov 26, 2014 | Car Accidents


Accidents can happen anytime and anywhere, and every person who travels North Carolina’s streets, roads and highways is a potential accident victim. Unfortunately, despite the efforts of the authorities over the decades to educate drivers on how to drive safely, many people are still injured and some are killed every year around the state.

After a car accident, any driver is expected to do the following: if the accident is blocking traffic, remove the vehicle involved in the accident to a safer location; call the police if there are injuries or if the accident involved a hit-and-run driver; and get details from the other driver, such as name, address, contact number, insurance information, driver’s license number and car license plate number.

Using information from the other driver involved in an accident will allow you to contact the person’s insurance company and provide a policy number to begin the claims process to pay for damage to your vehicle and for any medical treatment you needed as a result of the accident. Also contact your own insurance agent in case you have questions about the claim.

Sometimes drivers flee the scene of an accident to escape serious consequences that might follow from impaired driving or other careless or reckless behavior. In many cases, they will face hit-and-run charges in addition to other possible criminal charges. The insurance adjuster who investigates an accident will also try to find the driver who is at fault for an accident and will include that in a report.

Source:, “Consumer’s Guide,” Accessed on Nov. 21, 2014


FindLaw Network