The Law Offices of John M. McCabe, P.A.
Free Initial Consultations
Toll Free: 877-320-1851 | Phone: 919-899-9852
Call Us Now

COVID-19 Update: Our office is open and we are available for video conferencing and phone consultations. Please call us to learn more.

Shoulder and back injuries common among nurses and medical aides

Working in the medical profession is a noble calling. Every day, you do your best to help alleviate the suffering of others. That can sometimes result in your suffering instead. Repetitive motions combined with needing to lift heavier patients can result in serious injuries that can keep you from doing your job pain-free. You may be worried about reporting the injury, seeking treatment for it or otherwise calling attention to it. After all, it could endanger your job if your employer finds out that you can no longer perform all aspects of your job, which you love.

You shouldn't have to tolerate pain just to do your job and help others. If you've suffered injuries while working as a nurse or medical aide, you should report the injury to your employer as soon as you notice it and take steps to treat it as soon as possible. Your employer is required, under state law, to accommodate your short-term disability. This could mean eliminating certain tasks from your workload until you recover or assigning you to a more clerical or records-based temporary position. If you believe you got punished or fired for reporting an injury, you should speak with an attorney.

Reporting your injury protects you and your insurance coverage

When you report your injury, you help ensure that it will get covered by workers' compensation. Especially in cases with severe repetitive stress injuries or injuries related to extreme heavy lifting, it may take time for all of your symptoms to fully develop. The longer you wait to report the incident where you suffered injuries, the harder it could become to obtain workers' compensation coverage if needed. The same is true of medical treatment. Seeking proper medical care when symptoms begin manifesting is important as well.

Your employer is not allowed to punish or terminate you because you report a work injury. While it does sometimes happen, it shouldn't. Working with an experienced North Carolina workers' compensation and personal injury attorney is your best option if your employer has punished you for reporting an injury or requesting accommodations while you recover from a work-related injury. Your attorney can help you push back against illegal employment practices while also helping you file for the workers' compensation coverage you need to recover from your injury.

An attorney can make all the difference to your claim

Complicated injuries can require careful documentation for workers' compensation coverage. The best way to ensure that your claim gets processed and approved is to work with an attorney who understands the North Carolina workers' compensation program. Whether it's appealing a claim denial or filing a suit against your employer for discriminating against you after your injury, legal channels can help you recover.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Here's what other attorneys are saying...

"John is a great lawyer who works super hard for his clients. The results he obtains for his clients are phenomenal." - Brian Davis

Read More

John McCabe wrote "The Investigation and Analysis of Personal Injury Cases" in the best-selling book Personal Injury Practice in North Carolina. This is the book that other lawyers follow in handling personal injury cases.

  • Rated by | Super Lawyers | John M. McCabe |
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 superb | Top Attorney Personal Injury
  • National Association of distinguished counsel | Nation's Top one percent 2017 | NADC
  • The Verdict Club | VC | Premier Trial Lawyers
  • Best Law Firms in North Carolina 2018
  • Nations's Premier | Top Ten Attorney Personal Injury | NAOPIA
  • 2014 | Litigator Awards | Ranked Top 1% of Lawyers
  • Best Lawyers | Best Law Firms | 2020

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Office Location

The Law Offices of John M. McCabe, P.A.
1130 Kildaire Farm Road
Suite 230
Cary, NC 27511

Toll Free: 877-320-1851
Phone: 919-899-9852
Fax: 919-833-3371
Cary Law Office Map