There are important steps that car accident victims can take following a car accident to ensure they are protected. A personal injury claim for damages can help injured car accident victims with their physical, financial and emotional damages when they have been injured by a negligent driver.
Steps to take following a car accident
There are several important steps car accident victims can take to protect their rights following a car accident including:
- Call 911 and contact authorities – following an accident it is important to remain at the scene. If the victims are able to safely pull to the side of the road, they should. If the accident involves injuries, it is essential for victims and anyone involved to remain at the scene.It is also important to summon authorities to the scene of the accident. Victims should call 911 if possible and wait for authorities to arrive. They should also receive whatever medical care and treatment they need.
- Exchange car insurance information – anyone involved in the accident should exchange car insurance information with one another.
- Obtain a copy of the police report – it is important that there is a police report. Victims also need to obtain a copy of the police report. Sometimes a police report can be filed after the car accident but production of a police report is another reason to summon authorities to the scene.
- Do not discuss liability for the car accident – car accident victims should not discuss liability for the car accident or offer opinions at the scene.
- Take photos – it is helpful to take photos of the car accident if possible including the area, scene and any damage.
- Collect witness information – it is helpful to get contact information, including names and phone numbers, for any witnesses to the accident.
Personal injury claim after a car accident
A personal injury claim for damages is a legal tool that can help car accident victims recover compensation for their physical, financial and emotional damages suffered in a car accident. Trained guidance throughout the process can help injured victims be familiar with the important timelines associated with a claim for damages and may be able to help them recover the compensation they need to move forward following a car accident.